Dr. Marcy’s Healthy Back Tips
We’ve all been taught the basics of good health over and over. The following is over and above what you usually hear.
- Walk with your arms swinging freely. Even if you walk your dog, you should take yourself for a walk afterwards and swing those arms!
- Wear shoes with support while doing yard work and house work. Many people wear old shoes which are worn out and don’t offer proper support.
- Move your body before starting a task. If you don’ t know what to stretch, pantomime what you are about to do and see what you’re moving. Then stretch that.
- Bend backwards for a stretching, instead of forward. Since we are frequently in a bent forward position while cleaning, doing dishes, emptying the dishwasher, pulling weeds, and sitting, it is helpful to bend backwards.
- Consider getting custom Orthotic Inserts made to go in your shoes.
- Don’t use your neck to hold the telephone between your head and shoulder.
- Maintain good posture, both while standing or sitting.
- Beware of sitting on a fat wallet in your back pocket.
- Be careful with asymmetric activities that use just one side of your body (even watching TV with your head turned).
- Don’t carry a child “on your hip.”
- Get regular exercise.
- Try to sleep on your back or side, instead of on your stomach.
- Find and follow a healthy diet that you can stick with.
- Keep your load light! Don’t pack too much “stuff” into your purse, shoulder bag or backpack. Consider using multiple bags to balance out your load.
- Don’t forget to breathe deeply.
- Have regular spinal checks and any necessary adjustments performed by Dr. Marcy!
Did You Know?
Bits of interesting information about the body …
Did you know that everything in the human body is mediated by the central nervous system? The nervous system includes the brain, spinal cord and spinal nerves, creating a network that sends impulses from your brain to every cell in the body. These impulses are what drives your organs and various body systems.
Did you know that chiropractic care changes the way the brain processes information? Chiropractic treatment sends signals to the brain that changes the way the brain controls muscles. Renowned researcher Dr. Heidi Haavik-Taylor has said, ‘The process of a spinal adjustment is like rebooting a computer. The signals that these adjustments send to the brain, via the nervous system, reset muscle behavior patterns. By stimulating the nervous system, we can improve the function of the whole body. This is something that chiropractors and their patients have known for years; now we have scientific evidence to prove it.’ In her research, Dr. Haavik-Taylor measured brain waves before and after spinal adjustments. With the use of EEGs, she was able to prove that there are definite changes to the way the brain processes information after chiropractic care.
Did you know adhesions are becoming a big problem for people who have had surgery? Ever heard of adhesions? Surgery is the leading cause of adhesions, which develop underneath scar tissue when the body is healing from surgery, injuries, trauma or infection. A scar is sometimes not only ‘just a scar.’ Those who have had digestive surgery report a 90% occurrence of adhesions. C-sections, the number one type of surgery performed annually in the U.S. – with 1.3 million – is the leading cause of adhesions.
Did you know that chiropractors and osteopaths have helped people to get better without drugs or surgery? Dr. Henry Winsor, an M.D. from Philadelphia was amazed by that happening, so he did some research on it. He performed autopsies to see if there was a relationship between the health of the spine and diseased organs. After a series of three studies, he concluded that there was a 100% correlation between spinal curvature and diseased internal organs! Some of the diseases and their related spinal segments were:
- Heart Disease – All twenty cases of heart disease had misalignment of T1 to T5 vertebrae.
- Lung Disease – All twenty-six cases of lung disease had misalignments of the spine in the T1 to T4 area.
- Stomach Disease – All nine cases of spinal misalignment in the mid-thoracic area (T5 to T9) had stomach disease.
- Liver Disease – All thirteen cases of liver disease had misalignments in the mid-thoracic area (T5 to T9) area.
- Kidney Disease – All seventeen cases of kidney disease had misalignments in the lower thoracic area (T10 to T12).
- Prostate and Bladder Disease – All eight cases of prostate and bladder disease had misalignments in the lumbar vertebrae (L1 to L3).
These findings support the claim that spinal misalignments which interfere with bodily functions (called vertebral subluxations by chiropractors) can have a profound effect on the health of the related internal organs.
Did you know that there are many things that contribute to your health that you don’t even realize? Besides the quality of the food you eat, the water you drink, and the air that you breathe, there are also factors like relaxation, exercise, how you react to and handle stress, your use of drugs, tobacco and alcohol, and inherited genetic strengths and weaknesses. Here’s one most people don’t consider – having a healthy spine! The health of the spine can make a huge difference in how you feel.
Call today and get the gentle chiropractic care that you deserve.
12855 S. Belcher Road, Suite 1
Largo, FL 33773
Chiropractor Largo | Chiropractor Clearwater | Chiropractor St. Petersburg | Chiropractor Seminole